Thursday, November 12, 2009

THYROID PART DEUX



















Can I possibly get to the point where I'm on an even keel?


The appointment was interesting. When he walked in and listened to the litany of problems that I'm having with my body he started to respond but stopped himself and asked me a very simple question.


What is the main function of the human body?


I've never had anyone ask me that question. Fortunately, I didn't have to search my index cards for the answer.


The bodies main function is to survive.


The body is a pretty miraculous machine. The thyroid takes iodine that is found in many of the foods that we consume and convert it into thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3). The thyroid is the only organ in the body that can capture and absorb iodine.


Every cell is dependent upon the thyroid hormones to control and regulate your metabolism. It is controlled by the pituitary gland in the brain. It is responsible for the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) that converts it into T4 and T3.





When it comes to an autoimmune disease like Hashimoto's Thyroiditis your body is attacking the thyroid as if it were a foreign body. The problem, in very simple terms, is that your brain senses that the body is attacking an intruder. It shuts down the rest of the thyroid in order to preserve itself. There is no need for the strong T4 so it cuts down production. You go into a hypothyroid status and the myriad of symptoms begin. 


So now it starts to find out what will regulate my thyroid and bring back balance and order to my body. I start taking Levoxyl. I found it interesting that the endocrinolgist would not prescribe Armour Thyroid. It seems that the Levoxyl is indentical to the molecule produced by the body. In his words he found nothing natural about putting dessicated pig hormone into a human body so therefore, the Levoxyl could be called bio-identical.


He was very specific about one thing. He would not allow it to be replaced by a generic drug. He wanted it dispensed as written. Of course the pharmacy didn't stock it. They asked if they could substitute it and I refused. He wanted it that way for a reason. Sometimes generic can be off just enough to make the medication work at less than optimum and that would be enough to mess up the effectiveness of the treatment. I'm supposed to take it first thing in the morning with water before anything else. Then get ready for the day and by that time an hour should go by. At that point I can have coffee, breakfast or whatever. The reason for this is that nothing will be in the stomach to hinder it being absorbed by the body.


So here I am again taking thyroid and I hope this time it works.


He started to laugh because I didn't want to know anything about treatment.


All I want to know is will I lose weight.


At least I'm consistent.















0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!