Saturday, February 27, 2010

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE!






It's fantastic to see my daughter and future son-in-law so happy.  Last night was an engagement party with the kids and their friends. What a nice group of people they have surrounding them. The couples they know are bright, articulate, funny, educated and they have wonderful values. It doesn't get any better than that.

The thing that amazes me about age is that your mind doesn't catch up to your body. It didn't seem all that long ago that I was their age. The conversations all seemed the same. The only difference was the advice that was given to new mothers. Ah, the benefit of years of experience! It is unreal to think that I was a little younger than my daughter when I got married. I felt so old and in control of my life. Now, I look at her and realize that she's a grown woman that I raised with all love and care that I possess. She is lovely and this is my greatest accomplishment. I, on the other hand, finally felt my age. 

All the milestones that you have with your children; you can't wait for their first steps, their first day of school, their first dance, sweet sixteen, their drivers license, graduation. You go through their first kiss, their first love and their first heartbreak. It's bittersweet because as you go through all these "firsts" you also realize how quickly time passes. It flies by WAY too fast.

I don't mind my age, I really don't, but there are moments that you realize the torch is being passed and last night was one of them for me. The mom's and dad hung around and talked to each other and had fun with the kids but we were definitely "the parents." Funny, isn't it?

When they are little you worry that they will meet the wrong man but that is nothing compared to the feeling that you have when they meet the right man. Now she is moving away from me and toward her future. She is moving toward a future with a young man who is strong, stable, grounded, centered and looks at her with an amazing amount of love in his eyes. Watching him watch her almost moves me to tears. He tells me he would walk through fire for Danielle and I know that he would. Together they're funny, strong, stubborn and passionate. I have no doubt that the same passion that binds them will also produce a few arguments that will rival the July fourth fireworks. The good thing is that neither one of them are right-fighters. They want resolution that works for both of them. 

So as we prepare for a beautiful and memorable wedding ceremony I know that this is another one of the firsts that I've been waiting and preparing for a long time. They will have a good strong marriage and I'm so happy for them. 

I take that back.

I'm happy for all of us.

Plus, she's going to be a beautiful bride.

I love you both,

Mom.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!