Sunday, June 26, 2011

CHASING SLEEP









I keep hoping.
I keep wishing.
I keep chasing.


No matter what I do lately I can't seem to sleep. I've been more tired than usual but this is ridiculous. I'll sleep for two hours and then I'm awake. Even when I do manage to fall asleep it feels like I'm half awake. 

Definitely not restful and restorative sleep.


Okay.........I know this is just part of the life with Fibromyalgia. I know it's the old alpha wave intrusion rearing its ugly head. I know all of that.


I didn't say I had to like it.


I've tried all of my usual remedies; lavender spray on the pillows, melatonin, warm showers before bed and none of it has been working. I've been walking at the gym to keep the muscles moving. 
  
I'm back to trying the tried and true. I've tried turning off the TV but being in the dark with nothing to divert my thoughts has made the problem worse. I've maintained a regular sleep schedule and I still wake up at night. I try not to nap during the day but sometimes I just have to close my eyes. 


I just don't want to break down and take some sort of sleep aid. Combining sleeping pills with the pain medication and muscle relaxers makes me very nervous. So where does that leave me?


I'll tell you where.


It leaves me with eyes wide open.


At one in the morning.


And at three in the morning.


So when it comes to sleep and Fibromyalgia,


All bets are off.